Wednesday 11 January 2012

CES 2012 - First Day Highlights

The International CES (Consumer Electronics Show) 2012 is currently being held in Las Vegas (from 10/01/2012 to 13/01/2012). This annual event likened to the Oscar in Show business. It is the time the heavyweights of the consumer electronics/technology products providers are showcasing their new wonders (or at least showing some of the working prototypes) to the world.

I know my blog is nothing to do with electronics or technology stuff, but I think it is important for all of us to be aware of the forthcoming eye opener(s) in the technology space because we are more connected than we thought. Just ask around, who do not own smartphone nowadays?   

As the show is still on-going, I would not be able to provide any complete summary of the event, thus, I am trying to identify some key highlights that would potentially impact us in 2012:

1. Mobile payment systems is here to stay -For example, Google Wallet allows you to make payments with the tap of a smartphone. More devices are outfitted with the crucial Near Field Communication (NFC) chip that makes these transactions possible.

2. Facebook IPO will happen in 2012 - This forthcoming monster IPO (in billions) will sure to cause a stir in the market. 

3. Tablets will continue to soar - A recent spate of Apple rumors suggest that iPad 3 could be arriving as early as February and may be accompanied by a smaller “iPad mini.”, Other coming soon competing products are  Android-powered tablets such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Kindle Fire. 

4. Ultrabooks will gain traction as viable tablet alternatives - A perfect alternative for someone who likes the sleek, lightweight quality of a tablet but wants a full keyboard. Acer, Asus, Toshiba and Lenovo all offered ultrabooks.

5. Voice Recognition Technology - Siri is just the beginning, more are in the pipeline from the competitors. Wonder would Siri be able to communicate directly with other "counterpart"?

If you happen to be at CES 2012, do share with us how you find the show as compared to the previous years and which products/services you think are worth checking out in 2012?

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, CES was amazing this year. The Smart TV’s and Ultrabooks really impressed me. What I am the most excited for is the Hopper from DISH Network. With the Hopper, I would be able to watch a recording in one room and continue the recording in another room. I am so excited for that feature, because when I am watching TV at night I start getting tired and I am ready to move up to the bedroom. With some co-workers from DISH, I was able to check it out and it really looked like an awesome product. Some of the cameras that they had at CES like the Polaroid. I am really excited for some of these products to be released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I've been seeing lots of coverage about ultrabooks, Hopper is something new to me though.

      Cheers!

      Delete