Thursday 19 April 2012

First Blood ; Never The Last!

Nope, I am not going to share any prequel or sequel of Rambo movie here (I said this as I have mentioned earlier that I am a movie buff! ;-)). What I am referring to is a meaningful action that I've intended to do for quite sometime: Blood Donation

Finally, I've got the long awaited personal experience of getting my blood withdrawn out from my body. Seriously speaking, it's a pleasant blood donation experience.

My personal experience: 
Is it painful? No
How long does it take for the donation? About 30 minutes max (including filling-up form and blood test)
Is there any side effect after that? Except a minor needling sensation and small blue black, nothing much and can go back to work afterwords as per normal.

In fact, I've learnt a few things from this experience in terms of blood donor's eligibility (i.e. not everyone are eligible) e.g.:
1. You must weigh at least 45 kg
2. Your blood haemoglobin level must be at least 12.5 g/dl
3. You have not had a fever in the last 3 weeks
4. You are between 16 and 60 years old

blood donation, hsa
Encouraging message (sticker) for the first timer
blood donation, hsa
Blood Donation in action
blood donation, hsa
Self portrait after the donation
Minor blue-black after removing the bandage (the marks are caused by the bandage)
Thus, I was secretly pleased that I am eligible and the actual blood extraction time was merely 5 minutes! Ultimately, my blood might not be enough to save any live (as no one can control the outcome) but it sure will increase the chance of survival for the needy. I've pledged myself to be a regular blood donor from now onwards (at least twice a year), hence, my first blood but never my last!

For those who are keen to have your own experience of donating blood (your very own proud moment), do check out the blood donation drives near your place or visit the following sites:

Cheers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment